Culture Digest 20.02.26
A round up of the arts and culture stories which caught our attention over the past week or so...
Open letter backs future of glass plans in Sunderland
More than 200 glass and ceramics practitioners have signed an open letter backing plans for a new glass-making hub in Sunderland, as the city prepares for the closure of the National Glass Centre (NGC) in the summer.
Glassworks, proposed for the former Peter Smith Antiques building in Sunniside, is intended to replace the NGC, which is due to shut in July after the University of Sunderland said repair costs of between £14m and £45m were unaffordable. The university is also ending its glass-making degree courses, citing financial pressures.
Campaigners seeking to save the NGC have raised concerns about the suitability and safety of the new site, as well as the potential for a “glass-making gap” before Glassworks is expected to open in 2028.
However, the open letter describes the new project as “the most realistic opportunity” to retain glass-making in the city. While calling the closure of the NGC “deeply regrettable”, signatories argue that Sunderland’s 1,350-year glass-making heritage has “never been defined by a single structure”, but by the skills, knowledge and community that sustain the practice.
A spokesperson for Save the National Glass Centre said the group was disappointed the letter “misrepresents our campaign as merely being about preventing the loss of an important cultural building”.
Berwick in for UK Town of Culture and seeks public’s help
Berwick-upon-Tweed is the latest North East town to throw its hat into the ring to be the first UK Town of Culture in 2028.
It joins North Shields (North Tyneside) and Bishop Auckland (County Durham) which have already put themselves forward as contenders.
That will come as no surprise to those who have been following the Berwick story over the past few years – and particularly the developments planned or ongoing at Berwick Barracks and The Maltings arts centre.
The redevelopment of the latter is expected to be completed in 2028 while the Living Barracks project, due to run until the end of that year, will see Berwick Barracks and its various attractions dramatically improved and upgraded.
Moving Parts unveils Easter puppetry programme
Colour, creativity and ‘crankies’ are going to make sure there’s never a dull moment in the Easter holidays thanks to the determination of Newcastle Puppetry Festival producers, Moving Parts Arts.
Having announced earlier this month that lack of funding meant the annual event couldn’t go ahead in 2026, organisers promised there would be some “good news” coming.
This week, they made good on their promise, unveiling a city-wide programme of puppetry, film and family events running from April 3-18 including the first Puppet Film Fest at Tyneside Cinema; free performance, The Last Believer (featuring a “giant crankie”) in the grounds of the Great North Museum: Hancock; and a Teeny Tiny Toon Exhibition. Full preview to follow.
28 Years Later up for BAFTA
We’re sending all the good luck energy to the cast and crew of 28 Years Later, which is up for Outstanding British Film at this weekend’s BAFTA Awards.
Directed by Danny Boyle, the film - the third in the horror series - offered a big screen debut to Newcastle youngster Alfie Williams, starring alongside Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Jodie Comer and Ralph Fiennes.
Alfie also stars in the next instalment, 28 Years Later: The Bone Temple which was released in January.
The BAFTAs will be screened on BBC One from 7pm on Sunday.
Voices of Byker to shape new community archive
The story of an award-winning Tyneside landmark will be told through the voices of the people who have lived their lives in the neighbourhood.
The Byker Wall estate in Newcastle is Grade II* listed and has been placed on UNESCO’s list of outstanding 20th century buildings. But the development also later faced its challenges.
The former Byker Photographic Studio hobby room will be developed into a Byker Community Archive by Byker-based community interest company Northern Cultural Projects, which has secured a £240,186 grant from the National Lottery Heritage Fund and £36,488 match funding from Karbon Homes, which builds, manages and looks after homes across the North, including 1,800 on the Byker estate.
The project will collect the stories, memories, photographs and memorabilia of residents from the estate on which work began in the late 1960s.
It will also look further back into life in the long streets of Victorian terraced houses in the area which stretched down towards the Tyne.
North East writers invited to apply for paid mentoring scheme
New Writing North has teamed up with powerhouse production company, Quay Street Productions to offer one North East writer a six-month paid mentorship.
The opportunity will see a selected early-career screenwriter develop an original TV idea with guidance from Quay Street’s development team, while honing their craft and building industry networks.
Supported by the North East Combined Authority, the successful applicant will receive a £2,500 bursary to support their time writing and attending development meetings, with a commitment of around two to three days per month.
Open to writers based in Northumberland, County Durham, Tees Valley and Tyne and Wear, the scheme is aimed at those who have not yet had an original piece produced for television.
Founded in 2021 by award-winning producer Nicola Shindler, Quay Street Productions is behind high-profile dramas including Nolly, written by Russell T Davies and starring Helena Bonham Carter, as well as BBC One’s Men Up, After the Flood and The Red King which was filmed in Northumberland.
Applications are open until March 16 via the New Writing North website.
A landmark anniversary for England’s last great wilderness
A year-long programme of events and activities will celebrate the 70th anniversary of Northumberland National Park.
It was officially designated in 1956 under the National Parks and Access to the Countryside Act 1949; a pioneering piece of post-war legislation which protected the nation’s most treasured landscapes while guaranteeing public access and enjoyment.
The anniversary will be marked by:
Two special exhibitions at The Sill: National Landscape Discovery Centre.
Northumberland National Park Photographer of the Year - showcasing shortlisted public submissions.
Volunteer Voices – an oral history of the park curated and produced by its own volunteers.
Northumberland National Park Walking Festival - a wide-ranging programme of guided walks exploring both iconic and lesser-known locations.
70 Years of Farming – honouring the contribution of farmers and land managers to nature recovery, climate resilience, and heritage stewardship.
A series of Now & Forever short films – sharing personal stories from the people who live, work, and spend time in Northumberland National Park.
First nineties names announced for new Lumley Castle musical festival
Star singer Gabrielle and Wet Wet Wet’s former frontman, Marti Pellow have been unveiled as the headliners for Opulence - a new music festival being held at Lumley Castle in County Durham.
The event will take place on September 4 and 5, with organisers promising a weekend split between ‘80s and ‘90s superstars on the Friday and house music on the Saturday.
The headliners will supported by North East favourites Smoove and Turrell, Soulutions and Newcastle-based Kate Bond.
Tickets go on sale on March 3 from Gigantic Tickets.
Bishop Auckland Food Festival serves up more names for 2026 event
Television favourites and Dragons’ Den success stories are among the latest names confirmed for this year’s Bishop Auckland Food Festival.
Lumberjaxe, Jasmine Mitchell and Briony May Williams will appear on April 19 at the free event.
They join Phil Vickery, Shivi Ramoutar and Aaron Mountford-Myles on the Saturday line-up, with Chris Bavin hosting across the weekend


Lumberjaxe – brothers Brendon and Jaydon Manders – secured investment from Emma Grede on Dragons’ Den in February 2025, in what was described as “one of the most powerful moments in Dragons’ Den history.”
Jasmine won last year’s series of The Great British Bake Off, earning five ‘Star Baker’ titles during her run, while May Williams, who appeared on Bake Off in 2018, now presents BBC One’s Escape to the Country.
Organised by Durham County Council, the Festival takes place on April 18-19 and will feature more than 150 traders, chocolate workshops and a competition to create a pie inspired by Bishop Auckland.
New reserve to bloom on restored mining site
A new nature reserve is to be created after a company’s donation of land and funds for the site’s long-term management.
Banks Mining operated the Bradley surface mine, between Leadgate and Dipton in County Durham, from 2018 and 2020 before carrying out restoration works the following year.
Now the firm has gifted the 21-hectare site to Durham Wildlife Trust, which will turn it into a nature reserve called Billingside Meadows.
A £127,000 fund has been created by Banks to help ensure the newly created reserve flourishes for visitors to enjoy. This will be supplemented by ongoing annual support to the Trust for a further seven years.
The Trust will introduce Exmoor ponies and native cattle to graze the area to help create a varied plant structure that will support a mix of wildflowers and invertebrates.
.












